Friday, June 20, 2008

Drum roll, please.....Week Sixteen Update


So, seems that the Peanut is now actually an avocado.



Here's what happens in Week 16:
Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.
Exciting, huh? A growth spurt! Guess I'll grow some too. Thank goodness for all the maternity clothes from Joelle and Kari! Right now I'm sort of doing a 50/50 between maternity clothes and my regular clothes. Like today I'm wearing one of Kari's shirts with a regular cami and stretchy capris (don't worry, I brought a "coordinating" jacket to make the ensemble up to dress code!). Truthfully, I don't mind growing, as in general, I'm just so excited about the baby. I'm annoyed that it is another month until the next ultrasound as I really just want to see it again. Supposedly I'll feel it begin to move between now and week 20 or so, so that's something exciting. In the meantime, I'm actually thinking about borrowing Michelle's stethoscope and seeing if we can hear the heart beat! Creepy maybe, but I miss getting to see and hear him/her.
Elsewise, we are going to do some more work around the house this weekend. Hoping to finish painting the inside of the fence (and the rest will wait until fall) and then get to work transferring the office upstairs and touching up the woodwork before beginning to paint the office (now guest room) and baby room (formerly guest room). Alas, there may be some rain in the forecast so that may slow us down.
Anyway, we'll keep you all posted as to how the weekend goes....
Love,
Jess
P.S. Garcia seems to be doing better. He has not gotten sick in 2 days now (knock on wood). And, I've gotten REALLY good at getting him to take his pills. We're also working with the dogs on being more obedient as I finally got in the books I ordered on integrating the dogs and the baby. They now have to sit and stay before going outside or coming in and before getting their food. We have lots of other things to practice with them, too. Eventually we have to teach them to recognize their toys from the baby's toys, but I figure we'll master the sitting and staying first...

No comments: