Sunday, October 19, 2008

Turner's Birthday Luau

So, on Saturday I had a luau for Turner's 30th Birthday. He knew he was having a party, but he didn't know the theme. He did get to open a present a few minutes before coming home with an Hawaiian shirt in it, so I'm pretty sure he was on to me by then. Meanwhile, at 8 or so months pregnant, a biggish party is hard to pull off so thankfully I had the help of my friends. Kari, Craig and Corbin came over in the morning to help decorate and Craig and Corbin stayed at the house to watch the smoker (I smoked turkey breast and legs) while Kari and I went to the Meet Us at the Bridge event. After the event, we did some decorating and then Nichole and Pete came over to help decorate as well. After that I was on my own for a bit and finished up some cooking I had to do. Nichole, Kari, Craig and Pete came a little early also to finish set up. In the end, not only did Kari and Nichole bring several dishes, but Kari, Mindy and Carolyn brought some beverages to share. It take's a village to celebrate Turner's 30th....(especially when his wife weighs 500 lbs and moves as slowly as molasses-just kidding!)
Turner spent the day golfing with Frank and hanging with Frank, Amber, Corrie and Bennie who kept him entertained. When he got home, I gave him his video camera which was his big surprise present that I'd saved for him. He seemed pretty happy with it, I think.
Then the party officially started. We had a ton of food (turkey, coconut chicken rice, sweet potatoes, cheese cubes, a fruit tray, taco dip, a cheese ball, oranges with coconut cake inside, ambrosia, the list goes on....) and I think everone had a pretty good time. We ended up watching some SC football, which of course made the bday boy very happy. The dogs were delighted to entertain so many guests and I think everyone enjoyed getting Hawaiianed up.... As a side note, they don't make a grass skirt big enough to go all the way around my giant belly so I had to wear a skirt underneath :-)
I'm including a few more photos...

The fellas sporting their leis in honor of their dad's 30th!

Susan, Kari, Mindy and me... Susan had earlier said that I was photogenic. I think I proved her VERY wrong!

Me and Nichole (if you can't tell, I'm a little intimidated by her hat)

A little of the outdoor decor (who says Nashville's not Honolulu???)


Aloha from me, Turner and Quinn!!!


If you can't get enough of the luau pix, you can see them all at:
http://photo1.walgreens.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=45645194/t_=17999355
(Kodak gallery started acting odd so I had to switch it up)

Love to all,
J

2 comments:

Regina Stoner said...

Awwe! It sounds like the luau was SO much fun! I wish that we could have been there to celebrate with you guys! Jessica, it sounds like you threw an awesome party and I know for a fact that Michael had an awesome 30th!! Miss you guys!

Jessica Turner said...

We miss you, too, Regina! But we should have a great Thanksgiving and then top it off with a new nephew for you :-)