Monday, September 29, 2008

Week 30 & Week in Review

So we've made it to 30 weeks.
Quinn is now the weight of a cabbage....

So this week he is-"Mon petit chou" ("My little cabbage"-and some of the only French I know)

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)

Sorry for the delay in the update. Last week was a particularly long one as we were in trial through Friday morning on the infant death case. In the end, our prosecution went really well and I'm very proud of the job that all of us did. In truth, I was a little surprised at how emotional it got for me from time to time which may seem silly, but typically I'm better from separating myself from cases. All that said, it was lots of long days and a little working late, but in the end, we got guilty verdicts against both the mother and the father.
This is an article in the Tennessean re: the verdict (Note: They didn't get it 100% right):
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809270346
Information regarding the case itself can be seen at:
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=9049370
and
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=55122
And I get that this may be a weird thing to share on the blog, but I really am proud of this verdict as a lot of work went into it. I read letters from the mother and father back and forth in jail while going to Kansas City and Myrtle Beach in May and though I didn't know until a week and a half or so ago that I'd work the case, from that point forward, it was one of my main focuses. The ADAs that I worked with on the case were phenomenal and truly made me part of the team and most importantly, we were responsible for speaking out for this baby and seeking justice for her and I think that we have been successful in doing so.
Plus, Quinn hung in there with me for all of it and was very agreeable almost all of the time. He did act out by stabbing me in court one day right after I'd announced that he was a very well behaved baby and even more interestingly, he got very fired up for closing arguments (but only the State's closing arguments). That said, maybe he'll grow up to be a prosecutor.
This weekend, Turner and I did a lot of decompressing. We also cleaned and finished up the curtains, etc, in the guest room. Add in a little futon hunting and that's the bulk of our weekend. I'm hopeful that we'll have the futon picked out early this week.
Hope everyone else has had a good one.
Love to all,
J

1 comment:

Joelle Turner said...

Oh man! Less than 10 weeks and little Quinn will be here!!

Glad the case went so well. I'm sure you would get emotional going through something like that at this time of your life. I'm so thankful for the guilty verdict! You should be very proud -- you do very important work and do it very well. :o)