Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th of July and Week 18 Update!!


Wow, I'm sort of amazed to be at week 18. Somehow, week 17 didn't seem like a lot, but week 18 does! (Or, maybe the hormones are making me crazy....) Either way, we're getting there.

In terms of the 18th week, here's the update:

Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.
We're still really excited about the ultrasound to determine gender on the 17th, but it still feels very far away.
Pregnancy wise, nothing is too different. I'm starting to show more and more and I swear there was one day this week when my belly just kind of popped out so that I couldn't suck it in anymore. Guess Bernie was looking for more space :-) I'm wearing more and more maternity clothes, which are super comfy and really not bad looking (I'm trying to decide if Joelle and Kari will notice if I keep some of my favorites when I return their clothes :-) I do feel a little slower on my feet these days, but it's kind of hot during the day, so that may be part of it. Oh, and I've gotten a little food picky. Not so much that I'm sick to my stomach, but that I don't want to eat certain things at certain times. Like basically, if it doesn't appeal to me, don't try to get me to eat it.... Turner's having lots of fun, I'm sure!
As for us, this has been kind of a busy 4 day week. We are now dog-sitting Callie (Nichole's dog) and Deja (Pete's Corgi). All in all, they are doing really well with the two boys. Deja is a little older so tends to be a bit crankier with Garcia who gets on her nerves, but he's a good natured (annoying) guy so he takes it in stride.
We've got a number of plans this weekend, including barbecuing with Rob and Becky tonight, watching fireworks with Sarah and Kevin tomorrow (they have a condo that overlooks downtown so it's a great place to watch the fireworks, but avoid the crazy that is downtown on the 4th of July), going to another cookout on Saturday at Stephen's. We also might hang with Craig and Kari. Aside from all that, we need to get cracking on painting the baby's room and shifting things from the office upstairs, etc.
That said, right now, I'm at juvenile covering it for the 4th of July holiday. I'll be here til about 8:30 assuming that we don't get a detention case last minute (fingers crossed!) I hope so as I want to get to Becky and Rob's for chicken burgers!
Well, should get back to going through my criminal court cases, but thought I'd check in.
Love to all and
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!
Jessica

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thank you for your SO INFORMATIVE updates. We are so fortunate to have daughter-in-laws (or is it daughters-in-law) who are great at writing. In both your's and Joelle's blogs I can almost see what's going on. I can't wait to see you and also see what you have done with the house. (Maybe I just want to see where I get to sleep since Bernie gets our room.) Happy 4th weekend!

Mother