Friday, August 15, 2008

Week 24 AKA 6 months!!!!

It's crazy that we're at 6 months already. That seems close, but it turns out they actually measure gestation as a full 40 week process, so we aren't nearly as close as it seems :-( Not that the pregnancy has been difficult at all, I'm just getting excited about meeting Quinn and seeing whose nose he has and if he has Michael's curly hair and so on. I'm hoping he doesn't inherit his brother Darwin's pointy ears or Garcia's floppy ones for that matter. All in all, things are going well. We went to the doctor yesterday and she listened to Quinn's heartbeat and proclaimed him beautiful. I couldn't agree more...
Now, for your stimulating Week 24 Update:

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.
On the other hand, after reading that his skin is translucent, maybe I can wait to meet him for a bit :-) I have started to feel him regularly, but Turner still hasn't felt him move.

I actually think Garcia may have felt him as he spends a lot of time rooting around with my stomach. He does it gently and it is quite odd as he is completely focused on my stomach not on me when he does it. I've decided he and Quinn are bonding early. Darwin remains completely unaware, though he does love my newfound penchant for cereal eating as he gets my left over milk.
Hope all is going well with you. We're looking forward to seeing the Greenville crew soon.
Love,
Jessica

1 comment:

Brenda said...

The Greenville Crew is looking forward to seeing all of ya'll, too.