Thursday, August 21, 2008

Livin' la Vida Embarazada....

Hey, all!

Just thought I'd put a general update as to what has been going on in our world on the blog. Things have been really busy of late (or they always are busy, it seems) so I haven't really gotten a chance to post much about what is going on. We have more or less finished Quinn's room, save some accessories and artwork at this point. Last weekend, our friends Mindy and John, and their son Hayden and daughters Camden and Riley, brought over the crib that Quinn will use. It actually matches the furniture perfectly and has rails that are a safe distance apart-even by today's super strict, crazy baby safety standards!!
I did have to sew new ties onto the bumper as the ties that came on it were too short to tie appropriately around the crib. There are funkier sheets that match the bedding, but this plain sheet actually came with it, so it is what we have on for now.

We also got a new shelving unit to go on the side of the room which we thought would be handy for toys and books and such. Turner had the great idea of using green and brown baskets in it (I was just thinking green) and I really like the way that it looks with the rest of the room. We also got a few books for Quinn on sale the other day when I saw some for 75% off. I'm amazed at how expensive children's books are these days so I'm trying to keep an eye out for a bargain as I want him to have plenty of books to read or be read to him. I need to get to my mom's soon and pilfer my old books as I think she still has lots of my old favorites....
I've cut out most of the pieces for the quilt my friend Nichole is going to make for Quinn from my dad's old shirts, but I'm hoping to finish it this weekend so I can get it to her so she can start working on it. I think it will be kind of cool looking, but I'm not 100% sure since I really know nothing about quilting. We'll see, I guess.
Last night we went on a tour of Baptist Hospital which is one of the two hospitals that my doctor, Dr. Haney, delivers at. We anticipated that we would prefer Centennial over Baptist so I hope that we're right as I wasn't too excited about what Baptist had to offer. Part of it might have just been the woman giving the tour who kept calling all of the waiting rooms and recovery rooms "holding areas" which just made me think of bunches of pregnant cattle. She also announced that they had made the postpartum rooms smaller and that they are redoing the c-section area so that right now, they are using 4 beds separated by curtains for c-sections. Not too pleasant sounding. With any luck, Centennial will not be doing any bizarro remodeling and it will work out better for the birth. The birthing suites at Baptist for people who are having regular labor and delivery were really nice, so I think it is at least partly that I know I'll have a c-section that turns me off of it.
Beyond that, the pregnancy is going well. I definitively feel like I've slowed down a bit in the last week or two and I am definitely looking relatively pregnant. Quinn is moving quite a bit more, though he is still on the unpredictible side and doesn't seem to want to let anyone feel him moving. On the other hand, he was jabbing some piece of himself into my side yesterday and I realized that it was actually poking out of my belly, so Turner got to feel it. I imagine it was a very bony elbow or something-ow!
That's all for now, but I'll try to be better about posting more often.
Love,
J

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I love the bed, the shelves, and in general, the whole room. Ya'll have done a great job. Quinn is sooo lucky!

Joelle Turner said...

The room looks great! I can't wait to see it in person!! Where, oh, where did you find books for 75% off?!? What a great deal!! There is a big used book sale near me the end of Sept and I am hoping to find some good ones.

Regina Stoner said...

The nursery looks great! Quinn should be quite cozy in his little baby haven :-). Can't wait to see it in person!